Research by NASA indicates that within the broad infrared radiation spectrum, those in the 8-14 micron range are most effective in penetrating the human body. It then naturally follows that when FIR of this frequency range is used in therapeutic treatment, it will have the greatest beneficial effect on the patient. This is because it is the frequency best able to produce the warmth necessary to expand capillaries and stimulate blood circulation.
This color isothermograph below shows the effects of far infrared therapy.
Far Infrared Medical Healing Worldwide
Far infrared treatments are nothing new and over the last 25 years, extensive research has been carried out worldwide on the medical benefits of far infrared particularly from countries like Japan and China. Japan even have their own “Infrared Society” consisting of a team of highly qualified medical professionals doctors and therapists who are dedicated to FIR research and some of their findings listed below support the outstanding health benefits of infrared therapy as a method of healing.
Very successful results for:
- Asthma, bronchitis
- Ear Diseases
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Crohn’s Disease (Ileitis)
- Duodenal ulcers
- Leg ulcers
- Muscle Spasms
- Post-Exercise Muscle Pain
- Shoulder Stiffness
- Spinal Cord Shock
Symptoms significantly reduced for:
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy
- Brain Contusion
- Cancer pain
- Cold hands and feet
- Compression fracture pain
- Eczema and Psoriasis
- High blood pressure
- Deltoid Muscular Problems
- Menopause Pain
- Muscle Tension
- Nose bleeding
- Post-surgical adhesions
- Radiation sickness
- Sequelae of strokes
“One of the reasons FIR has beneficial result in a variety of illnesses is the ability of FIR waves to remove toxins which are often at the core of many health problems. Toxins in our body appear in water as clumps or globules. Blood circulation becomes blocked and cellular energy impaired where these toxins accumulate. However, when the energy from FIR is applied to water molecules containing toxins, the water begins to vibrate, releasing the encapsulated gases and other toxic materials back into the bloodstream where they are removed naturally by the body’s normal detoxification process.
One study done by American researchers showed that the sweat released by users of a FIR sauna (80-85% water) was different from the sweat released by users of a conventional sauna (75-95% water). The non-water portion of sweat released in a FIR sauna was cholesterol, fat-soluble toxins, toxic heavy metals, sulphuric acid, sodium, ammonia and uric acid”. – Quote taken from “The Science of Far Infrared Therapies” by Dr Toshiko Yamazaki, MD
Excerpts from “Warming Up to Far Infrared”
- Traditionally our daily dose of infrared comes from sunlight, which is composed of all the energy wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum but today we’re seeing new technologies employing far-infrared energy in healthcare products and in clinical protocols such as hypothermic therapies for detoxification and cancer treatment.
- Energy medicine is very old, too – at least as old as the first Qigong masters and other ancient practitioners of healing touch therapies. These healers all had in common the ability to emit energy through their hands, and so do many modern day healers, such as Dolores Krieger, Ph.D., R.N., who began teaching healing touch techniques in the U.S. in the 1970s. Contemporary researchers have now proved that these forms of energy medicine use wavelengths in the infrared range. In a study at the National Yang-Ming Medical College in Taipei, Taiwan, published in the American Journal of Chinese Medicine in 1991, researchers measured the energy Qigong masters emit from their palms. The researchers employed electronic detection equipment but were also able to detect infrared energy by a rise in air temperature near the masters’ palms. The study showed that emitted infrared Qi, or Chi (pronounced “chee” and essentially meaning energy in Traditional Chinese Medicine), has positive effects on human fibroblasts, the cells that rebuild connective tissue. The study also showed that infrared Chi stimulated a significant increase in cell growth, DNA synthesis and protein synthesis in cells.
- Is this warming effect different from that of a hot water bottle or heating pad? Yes, the vibrational energy of far-infrared light is unlike that of the heat energy we use, for example, in cooking. Steam from boiling water can burn the skin but it doesn’t heat internal organs. Sunlight heats us in a profound way, however, because it contains penetrating far-infrared rays as well as the full range of energy in the electromagnetic spectrum.
- At the molecular level, FIR exerts strong rotational and vibrational effects that are either biologically benign or, in certain processes, biologically beneficial. This healing ability stands in contrast to the damaging effects of short wavelengths, such as X-rays and gamma rays. The molecular effects of FIR are actually measurable through IR spectroscopy, a method of analyzing the emission and absorption of infrared light that reveals changes in atoms and molecules caused by IR energy. In healthcare, these effects are being harnessed to promote healing.
- Far-infrared light penetrates beyond the skin level and is absorbed efficiently by cells below, whereas visible light is mostly bounced off the skin surface. Near-infrared is mostly absorbed at the skin level and raises the skin temperature. Far-infrared can penetrate up to 4cms, exciting the vibrational energy of molecules and resonating with cellular frequencies. We can’t exactly perceive the deep heating effects of FIR, though, because our body’s ability to sense heat is mainly at the skin level. Nonetheless, the effects of FIR rays promote bio-processes such as increased metabolism and blood circulation, and can raise core body temperature. NASA certainly understood some of these effects when it developed FIR materials for radiant heat during space travel. Hospitals have also taken advantage of some of these properties to keep newborn babies warm using FIR materials around incubators.
- For many, the biggest news in FIR technology is its application of the far-infrared sauna in the evolving science of detoxification. At home and in clinics, these saunas are said to yield many benefits – including relief from different kinds of pain; stimulation of immune response; improvement in skin tone and conditions such as burns, eczema, acne; and the accelerated burning of calories.
- “If far-infrared saunas work, why wait to use them? In our homes and healthcare facilities, we need to use these saunas to detox the same way we exercise-safely and effectively. And don’t overlook the importance of educating yourself and your children about sources of environmental toxins and allergens. Your future health depends on it!” Dr. Rapp by D.J. Fletcher – Alternative Medicine Magazine
Benefit of FIR ‘Sweatless’ Sauna in Comparison to Conventional Saunas
“Traditional wisdom has suggested that saunas work largely by promoting detoxification through the sweat,” says John C. Cline, M.D., B.Sc., C.C.F.P., A.B.C.T., Medical Director of the Cline Medical Centre and Oceanside Functional Medicine Research Institute, Canada. “Saunas also stimulate cells to release toxins which can then be eliminated by the liver and bowel. Several published studies have now shown that this hypothermic therapy can bring about the rapid removal of a wide range of toxic substances from the human body.” The FIR energy emitted in these saunas may induce two or three times the sweat volume of conventional saunas, yet they operate at a much cooler air temperature range: about 110 – 130 deg F, compared with 180 – 235 deg F in a conventional sauna. Many individuals who cannot tolerate a conventional sauna, steam room or sweat lodge will find FIR saunas pleasant. The lower heat range is also safer for those with cardiovascular risk factors or fragile health because lower temperatures don’t dramatically elevate heart rate and blood pressure. – Source: Dr John C. Cline, M.D., B.Sc., C.C.F.P., A.B.C.T
1) Far Infrared Therapy
Increases blood circulation and oxygen supply to damaged issues (aiding reduction of chronic joint and muscle pain or sport injuries), promotes relaxation and comfort, induces sleep and relieves stress.
2) German Medical Researchers
Conclusion of one session of far infrared therapy for over 1 hour can have significant reduction of blood pressure thanks to persistent peripheral vessels dilation. They also noted that blood viscosity was improved. After 1 hour of far infrared radiance, there is a significant decrease of blood pressure – cardiac ejection resistance – total peripheral resistance – and significant increase of heart rate, stroke volume, cardiac output, and ejection fraction.
Far Infrared Lasers vs Far Infrared Lamp Therapy. “Far Infrared lasers are becoming a very popular method to treat acne, particularly in very resistant cases. They seem to work by shrinking the sebaceous glands, and you get relatively quick results. They hurt like hell though.” – Jeffey Dover, MD, Boston, ELLE Magazine March 2004
According to the Clayton’s Electrotherapy, 9th Edition, far infrared radiation is the only antidote to excessive ultraviolet radiation.
5) Far Infrared Thermal Therapy and Electromagnetic Fields (EMF)
Recently there have been reports detailing the hazards of exposure to certain kinds of electromagnetic fields, such as those from high-tension power lines, cell phones, or from computer display terminals. Far Infrared heating systems have been tested in Japan and found free of toxic electromagnetic fields. The Swedish National Institute of Radiation Protection has also concluded that infrared heaters are not dangerous. Instead, Japanese researchers have reported that far infrared radiant heat antidotes the negative effects of toxic electromagnetic sources.
6) CHI energy also known as Qi –
The life force energy present within every living thing: The Qi that a Qigong master releases is called external Qi whereas the Qi that circulates within the body is called internal Qi. When a person is sick, the flow of Qi internally can be interrupted and various organs might malfunction. If proper information can be delivered inside the body via other media, or if new information can be generated within the body through exercise by patients themselves (the Chi Machine), the organs that are out of order will resume their proper function and the patients are thus cured. This is how acupuncture, electric treatment, magnetic therapy, and far infrared rays, cure various illnesses and keep the body fit. – ‘The Scientific Basis and Therapeutic Benefits of Far Infrared Ray Therapy’, Dr. Kyuo.
7) The McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Reports medical practitioners make use of infrared radiant heat to treat sprains, strains, bursitis, peripheral vascular diseases, arthritis, and muscle pain.
8) Therapeutic Effects of Far Infrared Heat
Chapter 9 of Therapeutic Heat and Cold, Fourth Edition, Editors Justus F. Lehmann, M.D., Williams, and Wilkin. Infrared Heat Therapy does the following:
- Decreases joint stiffness.
- Relieves muscle spasms.
- Increases blood flow.
- Leads to pain relief.
- Affects soft tissue injury.
- Increases the extensibility of collagen tissue.
- Assists in resolution of inflammatory infiltrated, edema, and exudes.
9) Potential Use Of Far Infrared In Dental Clinics
Mr. Shu of Ninomiya Yuri Dental Clinic used far infrared ray in his dental clinic for some years. “I have successfully treated many common dental diseases, for instance, pyorrhea alveolaris, gum inflammation, tooth pain, and muscular spasm.” Mr. Shu indicated that the use of far infrared ray is undergoing research. Dr. Akira, Director of the Meitoku Association of Dentists and Dr. Waaataru of the Kawano Dental Hospital also use far infrared treatment on a regular basis for gum inflammation and post dental pain suppression. – ‘The Scientific Basis and Therapeutic Benefits of Far Infrared Ray Therapy’, Dr. Kyuo.
10) Artificial Body Parts
“Infrared therapy feels wonderful on an artificial hip … it is so comforting. When pins or metal have been inserted, it does not harm, as it doesn’t get over 98 degrees. Keeping it at that constant temperature doesn’t make the body go up and doesn’t make it go down. If a person is recovering from a break and has metal pins in the body, far Infrared therapy is very soothing to them.” – D. Sudweeks, Pleasant Grove, Utah, January 27th, 1999.
11) FIR and Healthy Arteries
When the normally smooth, firm lining of the arteries becomes thickened and roughened by deposits of fat, fibrin, calcium and cellular debris, it lessens the arteries ability to expand and contract, and slows the blood movement through narrowed channels. These conditions make it easier for blood clots to form, blocking the arteries and stopping blood flow completely. FIR is able to neutralize blood toxicity and smooth the walls of arteries, capillaries and veins.
C. Dunson, a Lymphologist in Utah reported that within 15 minutes of a client being treated with the HotHouse and lymphology therapy, their pneumonia was cleared. Infrared therapy in both Japan and China has proven to be outstanding for asthma, bronchitis, colds, flu, sinusitis and congestion as it clears inflammation, swelling and mucous clogged passages, as testified to in Dr. Kyuo’s book below.
13) Far Infrared Therapy Research
Dr. Sasaki Kyuo, M.D. has done extensive research on the therapeutic uses of far infrared therapy. She is the author of “The Scientific Basis and Therapeutic Benefits of Far Infrared Ray Therapy’ – which presents the clinical effects of far infrared ray therapy.
Besides cancer, Dr. Kyuo reports continual successful treatments of many other diseases by use of FIR waves – treatments not only by her but also by many other doctors. The list of diseases – documented in her book – includes stress induced chronic diarrhea, abdominal distention, ulcerated large intestines, gastritis, facial numbness, hemorrhoids, shoulder, back, and knee pain, rheumatism, hypertension, diabetes, weight loss, breast and abdominal tumors, low blood pressure, asthma, anemia, burns and scalds, body odor, early onset of baldness, fracture of cervical vertebra, radiation exposure and related diseases.
Far Infrared Therapy
* Improves micro circulation by exerting strong rotational and vibrational effects at molecular level.
* Enhances the delivery of oxygen and nutrients in the blood cell to the body’s soft tissue areas.
* Promotes regeneration and fast healing.
* Increases metabolism between blood and tissue.
* Enhances white blood cell function, thereby increasing immune response and the elimination of foreign pathogens and cellular waste products.
* Removes accumulated toxins by improving lymph circulation which are often at the core of many health problems.
* Stimulate the hypothalamus, which controls the production of neurochemicals involved in such biological processes as sleep, mood, pain sensations, and blood pressure.
14) A clinical trial in Japan reported a successful solution for seven out of seven cases of rheumatoid arthritis treated with whole-body far infrared therapy.
15) Therapeutic Effects: Raynaud’s Syndrome
There have been numerous studies on the therapeutic effects of FIR products. One clinical study done by Dr. Gordon Ko and Dr. David Berbrayer at Sunnybrook and Women’s College Health Science Centers at the University of Toronto, published in the August 2002 issue of Alternative Medicine Review “Journal of Clinical Therapeutics”, showed that there are significant improvements in both subjective measures of pain and discomfort associated with Raynaud’s Syndrome.
16) Wound Healing
In Japan, Hideyoshi Toyokawa and others researched the effects of FIR on wound healing. The results showed that far infrared therapy can improve wound healing significantly. The results can be read at Experimental Biology and Medicine online journal: – www.ebmonline.org
17) Far Infrared Healing With Photons
“From first-hand experience, I can tell you (FIR) is a miraculous tool that on the surface seems contradictory. It can help alleviate the sensation of numbness, but it can also bring back a sense of feeling in areas that have gone numb. It can remove overgrown scar tissue and it can stimulate tissue growth. It can remove excess pigment, but it also restores pigment in areas where needed. It can activate healing components within the immune system, but also decrease the body’s sometimes harmful inflammation response.”
18) Carpal Tunnel Syndrom (CTS)
“One of the fastest growing complaints in this country today, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) responds to (FIR) as well. CTS is caused by motion and trauma to the median nerve passing through the wrist. Assembly line workers are particularly prone to the problem. The standard medical treatment for CTS is still surgery, which has a dismal success rate of less than 10%. Dr. Wayne Good, the plant physician at General Motors Flint Assembly, has treated close to 600 patients (with FIR) and achieved positive results in over 70% of patients. He is in the process of submitting his results for publication as further studies continue.”
“(FIR) will become one of the premier healing tools of our future. It will eliminate the need for many of today’s common surgical procedures. I can see the day when every household in the country will have a (FIR) unit on hand. When used properly, it is a safe, effective, natural tool that can enhance, rather than oppose, the body’s own innate healing powers.” – G.E. Poesnecker, N.D., D.C.
20) How Fast Are You Aging?
a) Common problems associated with lifestyle and aging, such as hypertension and osteoporosis, headaches and digestive problems, are attributed by some scientists to be the result of excess acidity in our system. The American Medical Journal found that in patients with bone loss, alkalizing their system caused a decrease in bone loss. Their conclusion was that our typical American diet is acid producing. The acids deposited in our blood are often stored by the body in forms of cholesterol, fatty acid, uric acid, and other villains that cause havoc in our system. Sang Whang, the author of “Reverse Aging,” claims that these excess acids can be eliminated with the use of far infrared products, along with consuming certain alkaline minerals and foods. The far infrared resonance heats up the internal temperature of the body, increasing circulation; thus enabling the blood to melt out the acidic toxins that have been deposited for years in one’s arteries. – www.takionic.com
b) ‘Reversing The Aging Process’ – an Enlightened Doctor’s Discovery’. ©1999 by Dr. Fouad I. Ghaly, M.D. Studies suggest that far infrared light stimulates the production of cell tissue and rapidly promotes the regeneration of skin and blood tissue.
Toxic accumulation is a root cause behind most physical challenges, including the aging process and diseases such as cancer
Far Infrared is thought to be 7 times more effective at detoxifying heavy metals such as mercury, aluminum, and even cholesterol’s, nicotine, alcohol, ammonia, sulfuric acid and other environmental toxins, as opposed to conventional heat or steam saunas.
The human body is a reservoir of all kinds of bio-toxins which cannot be expelled immediately and become stored in the body, thereby triggering illness. When toxic gases such as sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide, or potentially fatal heavy metal toxins such as mercury, lead and chlorine, meet large water molecules, they are encapsulated by clusters of water and trapped in the body. Where these toxins are accumulated, blood circulation is blocked and cellular energy is impaired. However, when a 7 to 11 micron FIR wave is applied to these large water molecules, the water begins to vibrate. This vibration reduces the ion bonds of the atoms which are holding together the molecules of water. As the water evaporates, the encapsulated gas and toxins can be released.
Toxic Cleansing With Far Infrared (FIR) Waves
“One of the reasons FIR has beneficial results in a variety of illnesses is the ability of FIR waves to remove toxins, which are often at the core of many health problems. Toxins that cannot be removed immediately after they enter the body are encapsulated by clusters of water. Blood circulation becomes blocked and the cellular energy impaired where these toxins accumulate. However, when a 10-micron FIR wave is applied to water molecules containing toxins, the water begins to vibrate. This vibration reduces the ion bonds of the atoms that are holding together the molecules of water. As the breakdown of the water molecules occurs, encapsulated gases and other toxic materials are released. One study done by American researchers showed that the sweat released by users of a FIR sauna was different that the sweat of people using a conventional sauna or doing normal exercise. The non water portion of sweat released in a FIR sauna was cholesterol, fat soluble toxins, toxic heavy metals, sulfuric acid, sodium, ammonia and uric acid.” – Dr. Kyuo, Japan.
Toxic Overload Toxic Overload from fibrocystic breast disease (FBD) in women to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children. Symptoms of toxic overload include fatigue, headaches, joint or muscle pain, frequent colds and flu, signs of allergy and hormonal imbalance, chemical sensitivity, sinus congestion, psoriasis and other skin conditions, loss of dexterity, insomnia and more. Psychological symptoms include poor concentration, memory loss, mood changes, mental confusion and changes in behavior. – www.balancedlives.net
Detoxification From Fibromyalgia And Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
A great overview on FIR history and its therapeutic value is available in an article: ‘Warming Up to FIR” published in the Jan. 2001 issue of Alternative Medicine Magazine by Dr. D.J. Fletcher. Here is an excerpt:
Randy Gomm in Vancouver, became a distributor of FIR saunas after his life was turned around by detoxification. As a firefighter, his health had begun to deteriorate until he was no longer able to work. He was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and eventually it was realized that the root of his problem was toxic overload from occupational exposure. During the eight years he was ill, he says, he had a lot of time to research alternative modalities to regain his health. “I discovered that leading researchers in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome stated that their patients had high toxic loads,” says Randy. “When their loads were reduced, their symptoms often improved dramatically. It worked for me. Detoxing really helped put me back on my feet.”
Aging and Far Infrared Heat Therapy
The following health challenges have been reported in Japan to be alleviated or reduced by the use of far infrared therapy:
- Asthma, bronchitis (cleared up).
- Rheumatoid arthritis (7 out of 10 cases resolved in one clinical trial).
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (reduced).
- Cancer pain (greatly relieved pain in later stages).
- Cirrhosis of the liver (reversed).
- Chrone’s Disease (gone).
- Cold hand and feet (a physical therapist discovered 20-50% improvement was maintained).
- Cystitis (gone).
- Duodenal ulcers (eliminated).
- Compression fracture pain.
- Gastritis (relieved).
- Hemorrhoids (reduced).
- Hepatitis (gone).
- High blood pressure (in the case of a diabetic a systolic decrease from 180 to 125 +
- concurrent weight loss).
- Keloids (significantly softened and, in some cases, completely gone).
- Leg ulcers (healed when previously static and resistant to other care).
- Pain preventing sleep or limiting sleeping positions (relieved).
- Post-surgical adhesions (reduced).
- Radiation sickness (relieved signs and symptoms).
- Sequel of strokes (Herniparesis relieved over time).
Dr. Masao Nakamura of the O and P Medical Clinic in Japan reports success with the use of far infrared heat treatment for the following:
- Ear Diseases
- Gastroenteric Problems
- Shoulder Stiffness
Success has been reported from infrared treatments by Japanese researchers for the following musculo-skeletal conditions:
- Arthritis, Gout, Rheumatoid, DJD (each substantially relieved or improved)
- Adhesions (common in competitive athletes, trauma, and repetitive stress syndromes)
- TMJ Arthritis
- Acel-Decel Injury Sequelae
- Low-Back Pain (relieved)
- Bursitis (eliminated)
- Brain Contusion (accelerated healing)
- Disc-Protrusion Related Neuralgia
- Compression Fractures (in one situation pain stopped for three days with one treatment)
- Muscle Tension (relaxed)
- Muscle Spasms (reduced or eliminated)
- Post-Exercise Muscle Pain (good results – vital to competitive athletes)
- Shoulder pain (relieved or improved)
- Spinal Cord Shock (reversed post traumatic shock)
- Tight Shoulders (more relaxed)
- Traumatic Arthritis
Ear, Nose, and Throat Conditions Relieved with Far Infrared Heat
The Japanese report the following ear, nose, and throat conditions relieved with far infrared heat treatments:
- Body Odor
- Chronic middle-ear inflammation of infection
- Clogged pores (unplugged of cosmetics, unexcelled skin texture and tone)
- Dandruff (increased blood flow through the scalp)
- Eczema and Psoriasis (respond well)
- Lacerations (healed quicker with less pain and scarring)
- Nettle rash
- Nose bleeding (reduced)
- Skin Conditions (improved)
- Teenage skin problems (clearing acne and blackheads)
- Poor skin tone – Scars and pain from burns or wounds (decreased in severity and extent)
- Sore throats
- Tinitus (chronic severe case cleared with 10 infrared treatments)
- Used routinely in burn units throughout Asia